Chapter 1: System of Governance01:12:00 Strategic Planning and Continuous Improvement Process
Related Policies and Guidelines
NeSCC Policy 04:03:00 Budget
NeSCC Policy 06:39:00 Strategic Planning
NeSCC Policy 6:45:00 Technology Planning and Oversight
The following policy outlines Northeast State’s principal requirements for ongoing, comprehensive, and integrated research-based planning and evaluation. These annual processes shall focus on institutional quality and effectiveness and incorporate a systematic review of institutional goals and outcomes to ensure they are consistent with the College’s mission.
Northeast State’s systematic approach to planning, evaluation, and continuous improvement shall include:
- The ongoing development and implementation of data-informed action plans that are designed to fulfill Northeast State’s mission and strategic plan;
- An analysis of outcomes to validate improvements in institutional quality; and
- The implementation of continuous improvements, as appropriate.
Northeast State employs a multi-faceted approach to ensure the appropriateness and adequacy of its ongoing, comprehensive, integrated, research-based, and systematic effectiveness processes:
- Institutional Units and Academic Programs: Institutional units as well as academic programs are charged with:
- Identifying expected outcomes that are
- appropriate given the purpose of the unit or academic program, and
- consistent with the institution’s mission and strategic plan.
- Identifying appropriate assessment measures for the expected outcome(s),
- Assessing the achievement of those outcomes, and
- Using the results for improvement.
- Strategic Planning Committee: The Strategic Planning Committee is charged with:
- Affirming that the institution’s strategic plans and evaluation results are consistent with its mission;
- Affirming the institution’s planning and evaluation processes are integrated and inform resource allocation decisions;
- Monitoring institutional performance with regard to its mission, strategic plan, and associated metrics;
- Identifying new strategic challenges and opportunities;
- Conducting reviews of the institution’s mission, strategic plan, and metrics to ensure continued relevancy, appropriateness, and comprehensiveness;
- Providing recommendations to the Tennessee Board of Regents regarding Northeast State’s strategic direction and mission, when applicable; and
- Validating that the strategic plan is appropriately published and disseminated.
- Cabinet: The Cabinet serves as the executive branch of the Strategic Planning Committee and meets twice per month. All internal constituents have representation on Cabinet. This broad-based representation helps to ensure sound planning and effectiveness processes are employed, regardless of the program or service. In addition to the duties outlined under item two, above, the Cabinet is charged with:
- Monitoring of the institution’s strategic initiatives on an ongoing basis;
- Implementing timely data-informed action plans, designed to fulfill Northeast State’s mission; and
- Ensuring budgetary considerations and resource allocations are appropriately linked to strategic priorities and assessment findings.
- The Tennessee Board of Regents (TBR): TBR is charged with:
- Setting Northeast State’s overall strategic direction; and
- Reviewing the institution’s mission, formally approving revisions, when applicable.
The Assistant Vice President for Research, Analytics, and Planning is responsible for overseeing institutional unit and academic program planning. The Vice President for Institutional Excellence and Student Success is responsible for overseeing institutional-level planning and for ensuring Northeast State’s core strategic planning, evaluation, and continuous improvement processes and procedures are fully operationalized.
Back to Top
|Divisional Review Responsibilities Checklist: Institutional Excellence and Student Success|
Revision History: June 2019; Edited Sept. 2019; Edited Feb. 2020