Policies and Procedures Manual

Chapter 4: Business & Administration

04:55:00   State Employee Guide for Reporting an Accident

The employees of the College who are involved in an accident in a state-owned vehicle should follow the procedures outlined below:

  1. Stop Immediately: Aid any injured persons. Do not move an injured party if movement may add to injury (unless it is to avoid further injury).  
  2. Notify Police: A college employee involved in an accident must report the accident immediately to the local police authority. The college employee should not move the College vehicle until approved to do so by the investigating officer or other public safety official. 
  3. Get the Facts: Make written notes of all essential facts such as names and address of people involved and witnesses of the accident. 
  4. Responsibility: Do not admit responsibility; make no statement regarding the accident except to the police. The law requires that you give your name, address, and license number. 
  5. Insurance Coverage: Secure the name of the agent or company with which the other party carries liability insurance. Provide the name, address, and phone number of the Northeast State director of Purchasing to the investigating officer.

After the Accident:

  1. Immediately notify your supervisor and the director of Purchasing.  
  2. The college employee involved in the accident should obtain a copy of the accident report and provide it to the director of Purchasing as soon as the accident report becomes available.

Back to Top

Divisional Review Responsibilities Checklist: Finance