Chapter 4: Business & Administration04:55:00 State Employee Guide for Reporting an Accident
The employees of the College who are involved in an accident in a state-owned vehicle should follow the procedures outlined below:
- Stop Immediately:Aid any injured persons. Do not move an injured party if movement may add to injury (unless it is to avoid further injury). Don’t leave the scene. Be prepared to communicate ALL details of the incident to the State’s adjuster.
- Notify Police:A college employee involved in an accident must report the accident immediately to the local police authority (through 911 or the police non-emergency number) as needed. The college employee should not move the College vehicle until approved to do so by the investigating officer or other public safety official.
- Get the Facts:Make written notes of all essential facts such as names and address of people involved and witnesses of the accident. Take at least 4 photos of both vehicles, license plates, parking situation, insurance card for other party, and any notable unrelated damages. Include photo of the other party if applicable.
- Call the State of TN Auto Accident Call Center immediately at 855-253-0629 to report the incident, then call your supervisor and follow your department’s applicable procedures.
- Responsibility:Do not admit responsibility or promise coverage or reimbursement to anyone; make no statement regarding the accident except to the police. The law requires that you give your name, address, and license number.
- Insurance Coverage:Secure the name of the agent or company with which the other party carries liability insurance. Provide the name, address, and phone number of the Northeast State director of Purchasing to the investigating officer.
After the Accident:
- Immediately notify your supervisor, the Special Assistant to the President for Safety, Security and Plant Operations, and the Vice President for Finance and Information Technology.
- The college employee involved in the accident should obtain a copy of the accident report and provide it to the director of Purchasing as soon as the accident report becomes available.
If you hit an unoccupied vehicle:
- Fill out a Damage Notification Card and leave it on the unoccupied Vehicle
- Call the State of TN Auto Accident Call Center immediately with date, time, and location of the incident, as well as any additional information you may have.
- Take photos of both vehicles, as well as the license plate and VIN tag of the other vehicle (on the driver-side dash, near the windshield).
Back to Top
|Divisional Review Responsibilities Checklist: Finance|
Revision History: Edited: June 2021