Chapter 2: Academics02:12:00 Field Trips
Faculty or staff desiring to take students on field trips must plan at least two weeks in advance and coordinate the planning with the academic dean. College transportation may be used for field trips when approval is secured in advance. Students on such authorized trips must not be the objects of reprisal from other faculty for the classes they miss and will be permitted to make up work missed while they were away from campus. Field trips should not be scheduled for the first or last week of the semester. Field trips for more than two instructional days generally will not be approved.
All field trips should be approved by the by the appropriate vice president at least two weeks in advance of the planned trip.
Documents needed for a Field Trip – (Travel Packet) All documents should be completed and signed in ink.
- Request for Field Trip - Faculty/Staff member must complete this form will all the requested information and signatures needed before forwarding to the Vice President for Academic Affairs.
- Authorization for Local Travel – (Single day travel only) – Faculty member should complete this form with all requested information and signatures needed and a zero dollar amount before forwarding to the Vice President for Academic Affairs with the travel packet.
- Summary Class List – Print a Summary Class List to include with the travel packet. It contains the student name and identification number.
- Release Form for Participation in Campus Activity – ALL students going on Field Trip must complete and sign in ink. NOTE: No forms submitted in pencil will be accepted.
- Student Travel Absence – form must be completed in ink by each student who will miss one or more classes during the Field Trip. Include instructors first and last names. NOTE: No forms submitted in pencil will be accepted. This form must accompany the Student Field Trip Authorization for Official Travel form for all students who will miss class(es) for approved travel.
- Memo – In order to have participating students excused from classes, a typed memo, using the Student Travel Absence form. The memo should include: the first and last name of instructor(s) from which student(s) is missing his/her class, date and time of absence, activity and/or destination, and, faculty or staff member responsible for trip. List the students who will be absence from class(es) at the bottom of memo. This memo is generated from the Faculty member or his/her Academic Deans office. Complete and sign or initial in ink. An example or template shall be provided to all academic divisions, if needed. This memo must be typed. The memo must be sent with the travel packet to the Vice President for Academic Affairs.
- Student Field Trip Authorization for Official Travel – must be completed for each student and submitted through the academic dean to the Vice President for Academic Affairs as part of the travel packet. Complete and sign in ink. Note: No forms submitted in pencil will be accepted.
Back to Top
|Divisional Review Responsibilities Checklist: Academic Affairs|
Revision History: March 2014, October 2017