Chapter 2: Academics02:12:00 Field Trips
Related Policies and Guidelines
NeSCC Policy 03:08:00 Guidelines for Student Travel
Faculty or staff desiring to take students on field trips must plan at least two weeks in advance and coordinate the planning with the academic dean. College transportation may be used for field trips when approval is secured in advance. Students on such authorized trips must not be the objects of reprisal from other faculty for the classes they miss and will be permitted to make up work missed while they were away from campus. Field trips should not be scheduled for the first or last week of the semester. Trips that require overnight stay fall under NeSCC Policy 03:08:00 Guidelines for Student Travel.
All field trips should be approved by the appropriate vice president at least two weeks in advance of the planned trip.
Documents needed for a Field Trip – (Travel Packet) All documents must be completed and signed in ink.
- Request for Field Trip – A faculty/staff member must complete this form with all the requested information and signatures needed before forwarding to the Vice President for Academic Affairs.
- Authorization for Local Travel – (Single day travel only) – A faculty/staff member must complete this form with all requested information and signatures needed, entering a zero dollar amount, before forwarding to the Vice President for Academic Affairs with the travel packet.
- Summary Class List – Print a Summary Class List to include with the travel packet. It contains the student name and identification number.
- Release Form for Participation in Campus Activity – Students going on the Field Trip must complete and sign the form in ink. Forms submitted in pencil will not be accepted.
- Student Travel Absence – The form must be completed in ink by each student who will miss one or more classes during the field trip. Include instructor’s first and last name
s. NOTE: Forms submitted in pencil will not be accepted. This form must accompany the Student Field Trip Authorization for Official Travel form for all students who will miss class(es) for approved travel.
- Memo – In order to have participating students excused from classes, a typed memo, using the Student Travel Absence form must be included. The memo should include the first and last name(s) of instructor(s) from which student(s) is/are missing his/her/their class, date and time of absence, activity and/or destination, and faculty or staff member responsible for the trip(s). List the students who will be absent from class(es) at the bottom of the memo. This memo is generated from the faculty member or his/her academic dean’s office. Complete and sign or initial in ink. An example or template shall be provided to all academic divisions, if needed. This memo must be typed. The memo must be sent with the travel packet to the Vice President for Academic Affairs.
- Student Field Trip Authorization for Official Travel –The form must be completed for each student and submitted through the academic dean to the Vice President for Academic Affairs as part of the travel packet. Complete and sign in ink. Note: Forms submitted in pencil will not be accepted.
Back to Top
|Divisional Review Responsibilities Checklist: Academic Affairs|
Revision History: March 2014; Oct. 2017; Edited Feb. 2020