Chapter 5: Personnel05:05:07 Qualifications, Duties and Responsibilities of Faculty
Responsibility for the implementation of the instructional program rests with the teaching faculty. Excellence in teaching stands foremost among the responsibilities of the College.
The College’s recruitment and employment processes ensure that all faculty are qualified in accordance with SACSCOC and/or other regulatory or accrediting bodies specific to their academic discipline. The Vice President for Academic Affairs may approve exemptions wherein unique experiential qualifications in conjunction with demonstrated competence may substitute for academic credentials. Exemptions must be fully documented and justified by the academic division.
Routine Instructional Objectives
- Teach an average of 15 credit hours per semester during the day or evening; on/off campus; teaching modality;
- Devote a minimum of 37.5 hours per week to the institution, maintain appropriate office hours as determined by the College officials, and bring to the attention of the appropriate academic dean any commitments which might impact effectiveness;
- Generate a minimum of 300 student credit hours per semester;
- Serve as the instructor of record for assigned classes; that is, the person qualified to teach the course and who has overall responsibility for the implementation of the syllabus, the achievement of student learning outcomes included as part of the syllabus, and for issuing grades.
- Assist the academic dean in the development of a semester departmental schedule of classes;
- Recommend adoption of course materials in collaboration with other professional staff members in the department;
- Assist with the implementation of departmental exams and standardized tests when such use is deemed feasible and beneficial;
- Participate in faculty development activities to improve professional effectiveness;
- Participate in the evaluation of instruction via Supervisor, student, and self-evaluations;
- Provide copies to academic dean of syllabi and final examinations of courses taught;
- Supervise laboratory and other instructional activities in a conscientious and professional manner;
- Meet all classes as scheduled with any deviation being filed promptly and accurately through the appropriate channels;
- Assume responsibility for giving examinations and all other types of evaluations necessary to determine student level of performance and understanding;
- Cooperate with Library personnel in the selection, development, and distribution of resource material used by the faculty member's department;
- Respond in a timely fashion to deadlines; and
- Cooperate with other areas of the College in order to provide an effective educational program.
Routine Curriculum Objectives
Develop and recommend to the academic dean new courses and programs of study when the need arises;
- Recommend modification or discontinuance of courses or programs of study if appropriate; and
- Assist the Advising Resource Center by advising students regarding general or special issues related to the department/division.
Routine Administrative Support
Assist in the preparation of budget requests each fiscal year;
- Originate and recommend requisitions for purchase of supplies and equipment and other uses of appropriate budgetary funds for the instructional program;
- Originate requests for professional travel in support of personal faculty development;
- Assume responsibility for all equipment assigned to the faculty member or others under his/her supervision;
- Recommend to the academic dean needs for custodial care and maintenance of physical facilities in support of instructional work or study;
- Assist in the preparation of proposals for special, federal, state, and private projects and grants;
- Attend all divisional faculty meetings and participate in the discussion of academic issues ;
- Complete assignments requested;
- Attend all officially called assemblies or faculty meetings;
- Provide student academic advisement;
- Assist in marketing/recruiting activities;
- Participate and expedite the process of faculty evaluation following established procedures;
- Serve on committees as appointed; and
- Perform all other duties as may be assigned.
Other objectives of a problem solving, innovative, professional growth, or community service nature are generally identified and agreed upon by a faculty member and appropriate academic dean in support of institution or divisional goals.
Back to Top
|Divisional Review Responsibilities Checklist: Academic Affairs|
Revision History: March 2008; Revised April 2016; Revised Dec. 2019