Chapter 2: Academics02:02:01 Adding and Modifying Courses and Programs
(TBR Policy 02:01:01:00)
Faculty members are responsible for adding/modifying courses and programs. When new courses, programs, or major modifications in existing courses or programs are proposed by faculty members and/or academic leaders, the following steps should be completed:
- After careful review of divisional and institutional curricular needs, a faculty member or members should complete the required paperwork and supply accompanying documentation to the appropriate academic dean for approval. This preliminary evaluation of need and impact must include an assessment of library resources to support the course or program and consideration of space and equipment needs.
- Upon approval by the academic dean, the proposal will be forwarded to the curriculum specialist to identify associated required actions such as assigning a course number or comparing to current course inventory and/or the system inventory. The proposal will then be forwarded to the chair of the Curriculum Subcommittee.
- The Curriculum Subcommittee will review and approve/disapprove the proposed curricular action.
- The chair of the Curriculum Subcommittee will present the recommendation of the subcommittee to the Academic Affairs Committee. The Academic Affairs Committee, chaired by the vice president for Academic Affairs, will approve/disapprove the subcommittee’s recommendation.
- The vice president for Academic Affairs will approve/disapprove the recommendation of the Academic Affairs Committee and forward the recommendation, if required, to the president. The president will approve/disapprove the recommendation of the vice president and will forward, if required by Tennessee Board of Regents policy, the proposal for the Board’s review and approval/disapproval. If required, the Tennessee Board of Regents will forward the proposal submitted by Northeast State to the Tennessee Higher Education Commission for review and approval/disapproval by the commission.
Back to Top
|Divisional Review Responsibilities Checklist: Academic Affairs|
Revision History: November 2018