Chapter 3: Student Affairs03:06:01 General Guidelines for Student Organizations
TBR Policy 3.01.01.00 Student Organizations
- Student organizations may not conduct activities at any Northeast State Community College facility unless the organization has been officially registered by the institution.
- The College shall not be responsible for injuries or damages to persons or property resulting from activities of student organizations or for any debts or liabilities incurred by such organizations.
- Student organizations shall not deny membership to any person on the basis of age, race, color, sex, religion, disability, national origin, sexual orientation, identity/expression, genetic information or veteran status provided that social fraternities and sororities may have sex restricted membership, subject to the following exceptions:
- No TBR Institution that grants recognition to any student organization shall discriminate against or deny recognition to a student organization, or deny to a student organization access to programs, funding, or facilities otherwise available to another student organization, on the basis of:
- The religious content of the organization’s speech including, but not limited to, worship; or
- The organization’s exercise of its rights pursuant to 03:06:01 subparagraph (3b) below.
- A religious student organization may determine that the organization’s religious mission requires that only persons professing the faith of the group and comporting themselves in conformity with it qualify to serve as members of leaders.
- Student organizations shall not engage in or condone any form of hazing. Hazing includes, but is not limited to:
- Any action taken, or situation created intentionally, to produce mental or physical discomfort, embarrassment, or ridicule;
- Any form of verbal or physical harassment or abuse;
- Engaging in public stunts, morally degrading or humiliating behavior or games, whether on or off campus;
- Excessive demands on a student’s time so as to interfere with academic performance are prohibited;
- Threatening in any manner or form for the purpose of cajoling individuals into secrecy in regard to breaches (planned, threatened, attempted, or perpetrated) of hazing violations also is prohibited; and
- Hazing activity, which is in violation of any other institution regulation such as the misuse of alcohol, drugs, institution property, etc., is strictly forbidden.
- Student organizations shall be vicariously responsible and liable for the conduct and actions of each member of the organization while acting in the capacity of a member or while attending or participating in any activity of the organization.
- No person, group, or organization may use the name of the College in any manner, provided that registered student organizations may use the name of the College following the name of the organization.
- No person, group, or organization may use the seal or any symbol of the College without the prior written approval of the President or their designee.
- No person, group, or organization may use the College’s name to imply institutional sanctioning of the organization’s specific activities.
Back to Top
|Divisional Review Responsibilities Checklist: Institutional Excellence and Student Success
Revision History: April 2014; Edited Oct. 2019: Edited June 2022