Chapter 4: Business & Administration
04:30:00 Memberships & Subscriptions
(TBR Guideline G-080)
- General Statement
The following guidelines implement the Tennessee Board of Standards policy on membership dues and subscriptions paid for from State funds. The guidelines apply to all TBR institutions and units except campus libraries, which are exempt from the guidelines in their entirety. Each president is responsible for enforcement of the provisions below. This responsibility may, at the president's discretion, be delegated to other employees of Northeast State.
For purposes of these guidelines, the terms below are defined as follows:
- Membership Dues or Subscriptions are any expenditure from state funds by Northeast State which entitle subscription of material or membership, associate membership, or participation in activities of an organization.
- Organization is a group (public or private), association, or society whose purpose is to promote common interests and share information.
- Publication directly related to the mission means a publication without which the mission of Northeast State would be impossible or difficult to perform.
Northeast State shall develop, make known, and enforce a process for approval of memberships and subscriptions. The president shall approve all memberships and subscriptions except as provided below.
- Northeast State may be a member of an organization or maintain subscriptions if the membership or subscription is directly related to the goals and mission of the institution.
- Northeast State may not pay the membership dues or subscription of an individual. An exception may be granted in instances where an organization does not permit institutional membership or where an individual membership (in the name of an institutional representative) is less expensive than an institutional membership. However, memberships necessary to maintain or enhance an employee's professional status (e.g. American Institute of Certified Public Accountants or Bar membership dues) should be considered the responsibility of the employee and the association dues considered a personal expense.
- Duplicate memberships and subscriptions should be evaluated with the intention of eliminating unneeded duplicate membership/subscription per institution.
- Where membership dues are included as part or all of the expense of an organization meeting for which Northeast State pays the expense of an employee to attend, the appropriate expenses shall be considered membership dues under these guidelines and should be subject to the established membership approval process.
- Faculty and staff membership in civic organizations is encouraged; however, state funds may not be used to pay for memberships.
- Northeast State may not subscribe to political publications for other than instructional purposes.
- Northeast State may subscribe to newspapers within its service area for public information and instructional-related purposes.
- Newspaper clipping services must be approved by the president or his or her designee. The need for the service shall be clearly set forth in writing. The written justification should address the following points:
- The type of clipping service requested. (For example, all statewide daily newspapers.)
- The use of information provided by the service.
- Who the clippings are circulated to at Northeast State
- How the clippings benefit Northeast State
- A statement that the clipping service is the most economical means of fulfilling Northeast State’s need
Exceptions to these guidelines may be approved by the Chancellor.
Back to Top
|Divisional Review Responsibilities Checklist: Finance|
Revision History: Implemented: August 2009