Chapter 5: Personnel05:01:04 Fee Discount for Spouse and/or Dependent Children
(TBR Guideline P-131)
- General Statement: The Tennessee Board of Regents considers it appropriate to assist regular employees of the system institutions and the Board Office by providing a student fee discount for their spouses and dependent children when enrolled in undergraduate courses at any of the institutions in either the TBR or the University of Tennessee systems. The purpose of this policy is to establish the provisions for such fee discounts and to encourage such qualified students to attend TBR and UT institutions.
- Regular full-time employees are eligible for a student fee discount for their spouses and dependent children who have been admitted to any of the institutions in the TBR or UT system as undergraduate students through standard admission procedures. Spouses and dependent children of regular part-time employees who have one (1) or more years of continuous service within either system working a minimum of fifty percent (50%) time shall receive a pro rata discount based on the percent of effort currently worked by the employee.
- Employees who retire at a minimum age of 60 with at least 10 years of service, or with 30 years of service regardless of age, maintain their eligibility for a student fee discount for their spouses and/or dependent children as follows: Spouses of employees having 10 or more years of continuous service within the Regents system are eligible for the fee discount for five (5) years from date of death or retirement of the employee whichever shall occur first. Dependent children of such employees are eligible for the fee discount through age 26.
- Spouses and dependent children of employees with less than 10 years of continuous service within the Regents system immediately preceding retirement or death are eligible for the fee discount for two (2) years from the date of death or retirement of the employee whichever shall occur first.
Spouses and dependent children must be admitted to the TBR or UT institutions, or school through standard admissions procedures. For purposes of this policy, dependent children shall be defined as:
- The employee’s natural children 26 years of age or under;
- The employee’s stepchildren, provided such children are 26 years of age or under and living with the employee in a parent/child relationship;
- The employee’s legally adopted children who are 26 years of age or under; or
- Any other individuals who are 26 years of age or under and living in a parent/child relationship with the employee, such as children of deceased parents who are being raised by a grandparent who is a TBR System employee.
To participate in this program, employees must submit a Request for Fee Discount for Spouse and/or Dependent form at least two weeks prior to enrollment. Forms are available in the office of Human Resources.
Back to Top
|Divisional Review Responsibilities Checklist: Human Resources|
Revision History: February 2003, May 2006, February 2011